Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Birthday Week

Well, all the birthday festivities are over for my daughter, and she has sucessfully turned 4! What an exhausting ordeal, I'll tell you. I planned a big party for her Sat, with 20 kids in attendance. It was a camping theme, so I had 4 activity stations: pinecone birdfeeder, rock painting, nature collage, and archeological dig (for small snakes, lizards, bugs). I also set out some outdoor games, and set up a tent with small plastic animals and blocks inside. My husband grilled hot dogs and started up the campfire. After we all ate, I took the kids on a treasure hunt, that my best friend had set up. There were three clues leading down the street, to path and a treasure box. In the box were goodie bags with flashlights, bubbles, and glow bracelets. Back to the house, and we all roasted s'mores (most of the parents stayed), and then had a program. I sang songs, mostly requests from the kids, and read two stories. I only did it for a half an hour, but I bet the kids could have gone on much longer. They were paying attention, singing and having a great time. Then everyone headed home, and I let the birthday girl open some presents. We didn't do presents during the party for a number of reasons. I don't like to encourage my kids to rip through them. I feel like they don't appreciate each gift that way. Also, I don't want the gifts, or my child's reaction, to be compared. That just isn't nice. So, she opened her presents over the next few days. The only bummer during the party was that my 19mo old took a header on the asphalt, and has a nicely bruied and scraped nose.
My MIL stayed with us Sat and Sun night, which was nice. Sun was really busy, as I had to bring snack for nursery and Aunica (my 4yo) had to give her first talk in Primary. I got it all taken care of though, and we had a nice afternoon at home. My husband played video games all afternoon until I was ready to strangle him!
Monday was Aunica's actual birthday, and it was a crazy day. My MIL wanted me to go with her to the mall in Santa Maria so she could get a new pair of glasses at Lens Crafters. Do you have any idea what a BAD idea it is to take a 19mo to a place with 1000 pair of glasses right at her eye level? It was miserable! I can't tell you how many times I yelled at her, and I thought to myself, this is why I don't take my children to places that are not appropriate for their age. Anyway, we got some lunch there, got the glasses, and rushed back to SLO. I am enrolled in a Field Trip class that I thought started at noon, and we didn't get there until 12:45. I was really upset and frustrated, until I realized it actually started at 1pm, and we were early. Toured the Jack House, which is always a favorite of mine, then headed to County Culture to get frozen yogurt. Then went to pick up Aunica's barbie cake from Albertson's, to the fish store so my MIL could buy Aunica some fish for her birthday, then to Franks for dinner, as per Aunica's request. Back to my house (ahead of the birthday girl), and I go to take out the cake and it has completely collapsed. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like crying, but my best friend, Kim, saves the day. She props it back up, and I pull out the can of whipped cream. By the time Aunica got there, it looked good enough to eat, at least. She was thrilled with her new bike, we sang happy birthday, and put her to bed. The End!
My birthday is Friday. So, we'll see what that holds. Probably not much, which is fine with me! Lots of pictures, like I said. :) Hopefully some nice dinner. I would love the Madonna Inn, but I think I'll pick something a little more reasonable.

No comments: