Monday, November 27, 2006

Funeral, holiday

Well, I can't say I am great about getting posts in all the time. I guess I do it often enough, I just have so much going on that I can't seem to get it all down.
So, the funeral. It was sad, as funerals are. All the family, which means exponential chaos. More hurt feelings. Lots of tears. I brought my own two babysitters for my own two kids. You would think I did that because my kids were uncontrollable, but it was more for their basic protection. One of my nieces can be quite physically abusive. So, the extra adults were very much in need (our church furnished 2 adults as well). Also I did not want my kids being released to anyone other than myself or my husband, and I wanted someone there I could trust to respect that. One of my husband's brothers is a convicted child molester, and we have not had any contact with him for the past three years. Our children had never seen him, but the rest of my husband's family doesn't feel the same way. Of course, I knew he would be there, but it was important to my husband that our girls go. So, fine, they went, and I had extra eyes to watch them.
My father in law was truly a great man. He was a teacher, spiritual and intelligent. I enjoyed him very much. Everyone had such nice (and different) things to say about him. We will all miss him dearly.
The funeral wrapped up, and we headed back to the church for some food. Then home. Everyone else went to another brother's house, but I had enough of being nice for one day.
Thursday rolled around, Thanksgiving, and we spent it at my BIL's house. It was nice. All my husband's siblings were there, but the one we steer clear of wasn't there much, which was good. I am afraid of becoming lax in our standing on not associating with him. When we got there I was in a funk, kind of crabby and antisocial. Mainly because my husband is always left out of his family, and it bothers me. They don't invite him to join in their activites, etc. Getting an invitation to their house is like pulling teeth. Right before dinner, I snapped at my SIL, and I knew I was out of line. Apologized, and pulled myself out of my mood. Then things were better. We all went to go see movies, though not all at the same time. Not my favorite Thanksgiving tradition. I like games better. I also have the tradition of passing around a journal and everyone writing what they are thankful for in it. It was beautiful to read. Many things are cleared and sweeter on paper. I had felt all day that nobody was talking about my FIL, and I thought that was weird, but all the enties talk about him. Also the thankfulness for each other, and the admission of weakness, etc was so nice to read. The things that aren't always said, but should be. We didn't head home until 11pm, but it was good.
Friday my husband installed sinks. Whatever. Saturday we cleaned the garage, which was *very* exciting. Except all the extra ended up in the driveway. And that evening it started to rain. SOOO, at 9pm I got out there and threw all the stuff back under the eaves. I am offering most of it on freecycle.org, and it is already leaving. Very nice. Especially because my neighbors *will* complain. They suck.
Sunday was pretty quiet. I subbed in nursery. Always a treat. Today is Monday, and we are all back to the grind. I have a bunch of stuff hanging over my head that I just haven't taken care of with all the things going on in Nov. Now the time is short, and I need to get on it. Almost all my Christmas shopping is finished though. :) I have a policy, so to speak, of trying to get all my Xmas shopping done in Nov, so my Dec is less hectic. It is usually very nice, and this time especially so. Dec is already filling up. Today a good friend of mine was sick, so I took her some food, then later some dinner. Then we went to the drive-in to see Deck the Halls. It was cute. Tomorrow evening I am planning on giving blood. I'd better remember to drink lots of water throughout the day. When I gave birth to my first child, I hemorraged, and needed 4 units of blood. I made a pact with myself to give it all back, but I only managed to do one before I became pregnant again. Although I am still breastfeeding, I feel up to it, so I'm going to try. Otherwise I think I will run into the same problem. I like breastfeeding to 18mo, and my husband and I like this spacing between our kids, so I probably won't have much time in between. Which is fine.
But, I can't believe I am halfway done having children. I often times look at my kids and wonder how I got to this point in my life. I am *very* happy, just sometimes a little bewildered at where the time has gone. And desperate to enjoy every day, as they slip away so quickly.
Well, if I'm really good I'll post again tomorrow (or later today, as it were). I'm off to bed. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the Thanksgiving journal. Giving thanks is a good thing.

Regarding giving blood: Yay! That's good of you. I'm sure that it will make someone very thankful.

Regarding halfway thru having babies: That's a weird thought. Sometimes I look at you being where you are in your life, and think that time flies too. :) Don't think it about my life as much, since watching your kids grow is really what makes the feeling noticable. Time passes quickly in my mind as well, but it seems different for some reason. Like today being Tuesday, for instance. It seems like Monday. But I'm glad because it is closer to Friday.